Seal of The Town of Groton Town of Groton
Seal of The Town of Groton Planning Fly-out Vertical Menu
Shenny Logo Library Logo Town Seal Parks and Rec Logo GPD Patch EM Logo Public Works Logo

Records Division

Frequently Asked Records Questions

[Q] Spacer Where is the Town of Groton Police Department records office located?
[A] Spacer We are located next to the main lobby within the police department building at 68 Groton Long Point Road in Groton, CT 06340. The police department is situated just south of the top of Fort Hill Road (a.k.a. U.S. Route 1) and is directly across the street from Saint Mary's Church and adjacent to nearby Fitch Senior High School.

[Q] Spacer When is the records department open?
[A] Spacer The records section of the police department is open Monday through Friday 8:30AM to 4:30PM excluding holidays. Applicant fingerprinting is done on Wednesday only by appointment between the hours of 8:45AM and 12:15PM. Please contact (860) 441-6713 to arrange for your scheduled time.

[Q] Spacer When can I get a copy of a motor vehicle accident report?
[A] Spacer Please allow for a minimum of three business days following a motor vehicle accident occurrence before calling records at (860) 441-6713 to confirm the report is available for release.
Note: This three-day wait period is a general guideline to allow for investigation and processing of the accident report and may be extended depending on other circumstances.

[Q] Spacer Is there any cost for obtaining a copy of an accident report?
[A] Spacer Yes, there is a charge of 50¢ per report-page administrative cost that was established under and is regulated by Connecticut State General Statute. Call records personnel to determine the actual cost of the accident report being sought. Direct payment may be made by cash, check, bank check or money order. Mailed currency payments are not recommended.

[Q] Spacer How do I get a copy of a motor vehicle accident report?
[A] Spacer After confirming a motor vehicle accident report is available to be released through our records personnel you may either:
  1. Arrange in advance for the pick-up of the report during the regular department records business hours.
  2. Arrange in advance with the records personnel for after-hours pick-up of the accident report.
  3. Mail the requested report case number along with the required fee and a stamped return self-addressed envelope to the records section.

[Q] Spacer What services does the records section provide the public?
[A] Spacer In addition to maintaining the police department records, the records office is responsible for town applicant fingerprinting, performing town record checks, processing town raffle applications and the issuance of a variety of town permits to include vending, solicitors, shellfish and temporary state pistol permits.

[Q] Spacer How do I get a Temporary Firearm Permit?
[A] Spacer Please read this Information Sheet, then fill out the Connecticut state application.

For further assistance or other questions please feel free to call us at (860) 441-6713 during our regular business hours.

You may also visit the Connecticut Department of Public Safety web site, which provides access to the DPS Sex Offender Registry, the Firearms Licensing Unit, and more.