Seal of The Town of Groton Town of Groton
Seal of The Town of Groton Town Clerk Fly-out Vertical Menu
Town Clerk
Shenny Logo Library Logo Town Seal Parks and Rec Logo GPD Patch EM Logo Public Works Logo

Other Services

Dog licenses
Sporting licenses
Shellfish permits

Dog Licenses

Every dog over 6 months of age must be licensed with the Town Clerk. You have 30 days to license your dog after moving to Groton or after obtaining the dog.

To obtain a license, a valid rabies certificate which includes the vaccination expiration date must be presented.

The charge for a un-neutered or un-spayed dog is $19.

Neutered or spayed dogs are $8, and veterinarian's proof must be presented.

If you cannot come into the office for the license, you may mail the information and certificates with payment and a self-addressed stamped envelope, and the license, certificates, and dog tag will be returned to you. Be sure to include:

  • your name
  • your address
  • telephone number
  • the dog's name, breed, color, age, and sex
  • the rabies vaccination certificate showing the expiration date
  • a veterinarian's statement if the dog has been neutered or spayed

The license year runs from July 1 thru June 30, and a penalty of $1 per month is charged for dogs that are licensed after June 30.

Renewal reminder forms are mailed in late May for currently licensed dogs.

Sporting Licenses

These are State of Connecticut licenses and are valid for a calendar year (January 1 - December 31).

Fishing and hunting guidebooks are available at any Town Clerk's office.

Fishing licenses are required for anyone 16 years of age or older.

No hunting, trapping, or archery licenses and permits will be issued to any persons unless proof is provided that they have held a RESIDENT license in the respective sport within the last 5 years OR the person has a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms (CE/FS) course (or recognized equivalent) in that sport.  If you have an out-of-state hunting license, or if you have taken a Hunting Safety Course in a State other than Connecticut, you must contact the CT DEEP Agency at 860-424-3105 in order for the Town Clerk to process your appropriate sporting license at.  Courses are available year round, and listings are available in any Town Clerk's office or by calling (860) 642-7239. Armed Forces Members can purchase licenses at the Resident rate.

Visit the State of Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection home page

Shellfish Permits

To determine which areas are open, call the Shellfish Information line: 441-6793.

Download Shellfish Area Map

Maps of the shellfish grounds are also available in the Town Clerk's office.

Shellfish Commissioners

Shellfish Management Plan


The Town Clerk is no longer allowed to accept applications for Passports or any related services. The Groton Public Library offers this service by appointment only, Tuesday through Thursday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm and Saturday 9:30 am – 3:30 pm. Call for an appointment at 860-441-6750 and check the Library webpage for more information. Also, the U.S. Post Office in Groton accepts applications for passport. Call the Post Office for up to date information, 860-445-8154.