The Groton Beach Volleyball League games occur at Esker Point Beach Monday - Thursday during the summer (May-August). Games begin at 5:30 and 6:45 p.m.
Teams: Team captains Register a Team and make one payment to Groton Parks and Recreation. Captains, don't forget to register as a player below also!
Players: Every player must Register as a Player. Players can be added to the roster at anytime. However, if you register within 48 hours of match you must bring proof of registration to your match either with paper receipt or show email. (Player registration is free!)
Subs: Sub Pool Player Registration (Subs register for free!)
- 1 Parking pass per team is included for leagues that play on Thursday nights.
- Season runs 11 weeks plus playoffs.
- Rosters are due to the BVB Supervisor at the first game.
- Players can be added to roster until the start of last regular season match.
- A maximum of 36 teams will play per night. Decisions on number of teams in each division will be determined by GP&R.
- All official communication from GP&R will go through team captains by email. It will be their responsibility to pass along information to their players.
- Players must be at least 18 years old. Exception: Children, 16 years and older, may play in the Co-ed 6s league provided a parent signs the roster on their behalf.
You may only play on one roster in the same type of division. Ex. you may not be on both "A" and "B" rosters for the co-ed sixes. You may however, be on a Men'' "B" team roster and on a co-ed sixes roster even though they play on the same night.
- You are eligible to play on a team that is of a higher competitive difficulty than your normal division(s), but not lower. Competitive difficulty refers to divisional differences, a doubles team is higher in competitive difficulty than a fours team, which is higher than a sixes team.
- Minimum number of players: The minimum needed to play in 6s is 4 players, in 4s it is 3 players, and in 2s it is 2 players. If a team cannot field enough players, a forfeit will be ruled.
Men: Men only
Women: Women only
Co-Ed: Must have at least as many women on the court as men.
Open: Any combination of men and women is allowed.
Mondays : Women's 2's A&B
Tuesdays : Co-ed 6's A&B, Men's 2's A&B
Wednesdays : Open 4's (A,B-1,B-2)
Thursdays : Co-ed 2's (A,B-1,B-2)
Esker Point Beach League Rules:
- Games will be governed by USAV rules unless otherwise noted.
- Receiving the ball on any attack-hit (or serve) with open hand finger action is a violation. A hard-driven ball is an exception, but a serve is never a hard-driven ball.
- A block is never considered a touch in all divisions.
- Teams should have enough subs listed on their roster that they will not be forced to play shorthanded or forfeit. Doubles divisions may use rostered players as subs or use the sub pool. A sub pool is a list of subs on a separate roster (one for each division that uses a sub pool) that any captain can call in their hour of need, and request to sub on their team.
- Subs must follow the above rules for general eligibility (no subbing an "A" player into a "B" division's sub pool, etc.)
- Subs must sign a waiver before playing.
- Any sub can be used by any team for any given league match as needed, even multiple matches on a given night.
- At least 50% of the players who play in a scheduled league match must be rostered team members. If not enough rostered players can play on a scheduled night, it is up to the captains to work out rescheduling or decide on forfeit. If match is rescheduled, let the supervisor know in advance.
- Subs can be used for playoff matches only if the opposing captain agrees. If the opposing captain doesn't agree, a rostered team must be fielded or they forfeit.
If a sub becomes a permanent rostered team member (injury replacement, player loss due to move, job change, etc.) they are removed from the sub list and eligible for playoffs.
- Games are played rain or shine (exception: thunder and lightning). Decisions will be made by 4:00pm if canceling. We will make every effort to reschedule games, but there is no guarantee of make-up games for rain-outs.
- Other media may be used to supplement cancel notifications but should not be considered official. Only an email from the BVB Supervisor or other GP&R staff is the official notification.
- Doubles divisions are allowed reschedules. Make-ups must be made up within two weeks of the originally scheduled match. All games must be reported by 9:00pm the Sunday night before playoffs. If game is not made up, the original team who couldn't make the original date forfeits.
- All teams must report for matches at least ten (10) minutes before start time. Games must begin promptly at the scheduled time. Forfeits are called at 10 minutes past the start time of the first game, at 20 minutes past start time for the second game, and at 30 minutes past start time for the third game. As a courtesy, team captains are encouraged to contact the Supervisor and the opposing captain in advance if s/he knows that their team will be forced to forfeit.
- Teams scheduled for the 5:30 pm matches are responsible to set up the lines and nets.
- Teams scheduled for the 6:45 pm matches are responsible to neatly put away all volleyball equipment (boundary lines, balls) in the shed.
- The second team listed on schedule is the Home team and has the choice of side or serve.
- Matches consist of three games. All games will be played to 21 with a rally point scoring system.
- Players referee their own games. In case of dispute, final rule interpretation is made by the Volleyball Supervisor.
- Each team is allowed one 60 second time out per game.
- All 5:30 pm matches must end by 6:40 pm. All 6:45 pm matches must end by 8:00 pm. Ten minutes prior to ending time, a warning is made to alert teams that any remaining games must be completed. Games end promptly at 6:40 and 8:00 pm and a winner (or tie) is declared based on the current score. Any unplayed games are counted as a loss for both teams.
- All captains must report match results to the Volleyball Coordinator. Any scores not reported are counted as a loss.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages during play or competing while intoxicated is prohibited. Individuals found violating this rule will be suspended with no refunds.
- Playoffs: The top eight teams in each division make the playoffs. Playoffs begin the week following the regular season. Playoff brackets will be posted two weeks in advance.
Special thanks to the SandBox for providing nets! Visit their website for more tournament action.