Code of Conduct
Any individual participating in a Groton Parks and Recreation activity or visiting a facility managed by Groton Parks and Recreation is expected to abide by this Code of Conduct. Voluntary participation in our programs indicates acceptance of these guidelines and any consequences resulting from failure to follow the behaviors outlined below.
We encourage parents or guardians to review and discuss the behavior standards with their children participating in our programs. Adult participants in our programs are held to the same standards.
Participants in any Groton Parks and Recreation program and/or visitors to our facilities are expected to:
- Exercise respect for themselves and others.
- Know, understand and follow the rules associated with the activity or facility. Ask a staff member if you are unaware of the rules.
- Communicate in an appropriate manner. Avoid harsh words and tone of voice, profanity, sexually inappropriate comments, and offensive behavior or gestures.
- Express civil conduct. Physical contact with others must be a welcomed and an appropriate gesture. Avoid horseplay, unwelcome teasing, pushing, kicking, hitting or fighting, etc.
- Exercise Inclusion. All participants and visitors have the right to enjoy an environment where all participants can feel welcomed and achieve their full potential without being impeded by discrimination or harassment based on race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation, veteran’s status, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local nondiscrimination laws. Harassment may be verbal, visual or physical contact conduct.
- Promote and support a safe, fun and healthy environment through positive, productive participation.
- Respect the facility and equipment by using all equipment in the manner intended and treating the building and all equipment respectfully. Put trash in its place and return equipment to where it belongs.
- Dress appropriately and respectfully. All clothing should be clean, appropriate for the activity, and be free of lewd or explicit content.
- Practice good personal hygiene.
- Refrain from using any tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes or vaping devices.
Consequences: Any participant who fails to conform to the Code of Conduct is subject to disciplinary action and removal from the program or facility. When a participant’s or visitor's behavior is deemed inappropriate, that person will be subject to the following consequences:
- Removal from activity
- Expulsion from Groton Parks and Recreation facilities
Groton Parks and Recreation has zero tolerance for bullying, harassment, discrimination or violence. Anyone engaging in behavior that is deemed to be bullying, harassing, discriminatory or violent will be expelled from the program or facility and the appropriate authorities notified.