Welcome to the Town of Groton, Connecticut

Other Services

Dog Licenses

Every dog over 6 months of age must be licensed with the Town Clerk. You have 30 days to license your dog after moving to Groton or after obtaining the dog.

To obtain a license, a valid rabies certificate, which includes the vaccination expiration date, must be presented to the Town Clerk.

The annual license fee for an un-neutered or un-spayed dog is $19.  Neutered or spayed dogs are $8, and a veterinarian's proof of the alteration must be presented at the time of licensure.

If you cannot come into the office for the license, you may mail the information and certificates with payment along with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and the license, certificates, and dog tag will be returned to you. Be sure to include:

  • your name
  • your address
  • telephone number
  • email address
  • the dog's name, breed, color, age, and sex
  • the rabies vaccination certificate showing the expiration date
  • a veterinarian's statement if the dog has been neutered or spayed

The license year runs from July 1 thru June 30, and a State imposed penalty of $1 per month is charged for dogs that are licensed after June 30.

Renewal reminder forms may be mailed in late May for currently licensed dogs, but this is not a State requirement.

The CT State Department of Agriculture has developed an application for Kennel Licenses.  If you house more than 6 dogs, you must obtain a Kennel License.

Please read the current laws surrounding kennel licensure:


You may apply for a Kennel License for the Town of Groton using this application

Sporting Licenses

Connecticut Sporting Licenses are available for purchase on the DEEP web site. This website is designed for home use.  We are no longer offering this service at the Town Clerk’s Office.

State of Connecticut Sporting Licenses licenses are valid for the calendar year of purchase. (January 1 - December 31).

Fishing licenses are required for anyone 16 years of age or older.

No hunting, trapping, or archery licenses and permits will be issued to any persons unless proof is provided that they have held a RESIDENT license in the respective sport within the last 5 years OR the person has a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms (CE/FS) course (or recognized equivalent) in that sport.  If you have an out-of-state hunting license, or if you have taken a Hunting Safety Course in a State other than Connecticut, you must contact the CT DEEP Agency at 860-424-3105 or the web link below home for authorization. Courses are available year round. You can receive more information by calling 860-642-7239 or visit the State of Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection home page.

Armed Forces Members may purchase licenses at the Connecticut Resident rate.

Recreational Shellfishing Information and Permits

To determine which areas are open, call the Shellfish Information line: 441-6793.

Maps of the shellfish grounds are also available in the Town Clerk's office.


The Town Clerk is no longer allowed to accept applications for Passports or any related services. The Groton Public Library offers this service by appointment only, Tuesday through Thursday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm and Saturday 9:30 am – 3:30 pm. Call for an appointment at 860-441-6750 and check the Library webpage for more information. Also, the U.S. Post Office in Groton accepts applications for passport. Call the Post Office for up to date information, 860-445-8154.

Notary Services

The Notaries Public in the Town Clerk’s Office provide a service by notarizing certain documents for the statutory fee of $5 per signature. Please understand that we are not required to perform this service, but we may offer it as a convenience to the public.

The Town Attorney and the Judge of Probate has advised us not to notarize the following documents. Please do not ask us to do so. Thank you for your understanding.

  • Wills & Living Wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Adoptions/Guardianship/Child Custody Documents
  • Divorces
  • Foreign Language Documents
  • Documents for a non-English-Speaking person
  • I-9 Forms
List of local Notary Publics